Monday, January 14, 2008

lucky girl

By Emma H. W. Kouri

dotted line
I am a lucky girl. Really. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for my life and my family. Each day is filled with joy; I love my house and my dog, and of course my parents and my sisters. I also love my boss and I love school. But today, I am especially grateful for my husband.

Kevin has several unique characteristics that make him a desirable mate. First, he has a great appreciation for expensive and well-made women’s lingerie. If that isn’t enough to convince you, he also loves expensive and well-made women’s shoes. These two things together make my life much easier than most of the women I know, because I never have to think up an excuse of why I need this bra or those fabulous shoes. To the contrary, I sometimes have to convince him that I don’t need them!

Despite these amazing attributes, the best thing about Kevin is his ability and desire to provide constant emotional nourishment. Today, I am particularly grateful that he is so supportive and loving. During this busy week, he decided to do all the cooking. Right now, he is making us breaded pork chops. He is taking the task very seriously and is following the recipe to a T. A little bit of Mama Sonia came out in me tonight, as I lingered in the kitchen…

“Are you going to pre-heat the oven?”
“What are you doing with that milk?”
“Why did you cook the garlic and then throw it in the sink?! The recipe says to set it aside!”

It turns out the garlic was just to flavor the pan, and the recipe said to set it aside if you want to use it for something else. So I poured myself a glass of wine and banished myself to the office, where I should be working on my grant.

I can hear pots clanking, and I know Kevin is now working on his homemade pasta sauce for dinner tomorrow night. He is a very good boy and I am a very, very lucky girl.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, Kevin! And I'm a very lucky mother-in-law! Who wouldn't feel that way? To know that your daughter is being well cared for is frankly the tops. I think she's lucky in lots of ways, but mostly because you are a kind, thoughtful, well-bred young man who treats her like the queen she is, and I love you...LOTS!

Hanushka said...

And besides, you guys look so hot together on Park Avenue.....

Anonymous said...

Sallybagz x2

We're all lucky and blessed to have each other but Liz and I are thankful to have such a special person like Emma in our lives...

Anonymous said...

tear in my eye, love my brother and emma with all my heart! Now we expect this dinner next time in Warren!

KK

Lauren said...

Awww Kev-dog! That picture of you two in NYC = amazing!!! I love it! And I love you both!