Monday, February 25, 2008

extreme pleasures

By Emma H. W. Kouri

dotted line
I’ve never liked the idea of extremism. Actually, people with extreme views really turn me off. Extreme religion, extreme lifestyle, extreme political views… it’s all so extreme!

Because I live in America, I am constantly exposed to extremism. In America, extreme is the way to go. And as an American, you must try to reach your goals via the most extremely efficient route possible.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not perfect. I am the first to admit that I get sucked in. I love being efficient, and my husband loves it too. I’m always on the search for the latest extremely cool thing, especially when it comes to luxury bath products, and make-up. I’ll call my sisters and tell them they have to try this or that, that it has really changed my life. Then 2 weeks later, I’ve forgotten about it.

Here’s another thing that I don’t like: obsessing about my weight and my body. We all do it, especially in America. Just to let you know, I am 5 foot 10 1/2 inches. I weigh between 140-145 pounds, and my size is a tall 4 or 6, depending on the brand. I’m in excellent shape, walk and run daily, and eat healthful food (I am an extremely loyal EatingWell fan). Why does someone like me obsess about my weight? Maybe it’s because I was chubby as a child and ridiculed for it. Maybe it’s because I’m addicted to People magazine so I constantly have an unattainable image in my head. I really don’t know what the reason is, but I am sick of it.

The two topics mentioned above can be combined together to form one of the other things I can’t stand: extreme dieting. Or extreme diet choices. What is this all about? Why does America love it so much? The Atkins diet, the liquid diets, the milkshake diet… I could go on forever. My girlfriend told me she is reading this new book, called Skinny Bitch, which informs the reader that they are not taking care of themselves if they are eating meat or drinking milk. So now my friend's eating lots of fish. Guess what would happen if we all did that? That’s right, there would be no fish left to eat.

This feeling of frustration with my own obsession and America’s obsession with dieting really came to a head this weekend. I was walking on Church Street with my husband, and we walked into Borders. I was browsing, and caught sight of a book: French Women Don’t Get Fat. For some reason, I picked it up and bought it. Kevin got a book too, and we went home and read together.

Only 70 pages in, and I’m hooked. Seriously, in 2 days, I have felt a total revolution and a huge weight lifted off my shoulders! Based on the philosophy of a French woman, I have come to realize that I need to love food (and I really do love food, especially good cheese and chocolate) and not hate it! What good food (not low-fat high-sugar loser foods, but the real foods) needs is to be respected—and relished. Embrace it, and embrace yourself. Take each bite slowly and seriously, and consider all the different textures that you feel and the flavors that you taste.

I immediately poured a glass of Le Freak, and made a cheese plate for my husband and me. I carefully took 1 Carr’s whole wheat cracker, and placed a slice of Cabot Private Stock Cheddar on top. Then, I placed on top of the cheese a small dollop of homemade hot pepper jelly (from Liz’s friend).

I sat down, and took a small bite. Closed my eyes, and chewed. It was orgasmic! Amazing! I’ve never tasted anything so outrageous. It took 4 bites to eat this cracker, and guess what? I didn’t want a second. Anyone who knows me will find this hard to believe. But it’s true, and I was more satisfied than I’ve ever been even after scarfing down 5 crackers with cheese.

My new-found approach can be illustrated with this: imagine that you have to drive somewhere, and you have a choice: interstate or back roads. The interstate will no doubt get you there faster, but the back roads will be filled with character, scenery, picturesque moments and maybe even a little meditation! This is what the French do when they eat. It is an experience, not a chore. It is a friend (or lover), not an enemy. Savor every moment, and you’ll find yourself only needing one bite of that cake, because one bite was enough to send you reeling into ecstasy. After a while, you’ll find yourself being more thoughtful while you eat, and automatically eating less. Then you won’t feel guilty afterwards. If you’re lucky, you’ll find yourself indulging in extreme pleasure every time you sit down for a meal.




Delectable fruit and cheese plate from Leunig's Bistro in Burlington, Vermont.

5 comments:

Penelope said...

I can totally relate. When I was living in France, I noticed a real passion for food. It wasn't so much an obsession for it--although the French can be fanatically obsessive about the preparation. Rather it was a true enjoyment of it. It's about mindful eating, which I find very hard to do, especially during my lunch break when I'm always rushing from one thing to the next. I need to work on that.

Kathleen said...

darling Emma...I know this is delightfully blasting with the basic truth of things....the idea of being 'there' being whole and attentive...and the more exquisite the food the more attentive we can be....you know, I mean a dollop of black greek olives,swimming in extra virgin olive oil, on top of fresh greek feta...a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts, with a sprig of fresh basil and a glass of icy retzina....oh I faint...I believe this connection of 'attentiveness' is why organic food is usually so much more joyful and fulfilling then otherwise...attention and respect has been payed...hence it is more fullfilled and fullfilling...the French from what I have seen and experienced understand this quality of attentiveness...they buy their bread and veggies fresh everyday, they know their butcher and what cuts are available for each season, they honor the cheese and cheese maker, the wine, the wine maker, the attentiveness to preparing is only equaled by there attentiveness to eating ...with such honor and pleasure...no gobble in front of the tv....lord Emma I love this blog...I think it is a marvelous truth and we need to own it...with love and joy

Hanushka said...

Hey, I know those back roads! That's "the pretty way!"

Nicci Micco said...

I've never been one who subscribes to extreme dieting. Cognitively, I know it's not good for my body or my mind. That said, I know plenty about obsessing about my weight. (Right now, I'm 6 months pregnant and struggling with the fact that not every ounce I've gained is in my belly... ) Of course, I'm eating healthfully, and plenty of calories. I always do (just with guilt sometimes) and, right now, I know that doing so is imperative for the health of my baby. But it makes me sad (and sometimes angry) that I do this. That so many other women do it too. Food should be celebrated and enjoyed. And when you really think about where our food comes from (plants sequester energy that fuels us... people we love about put time and care into preparing it... how cool is that?), food really is a thing to cherish. Thanks, Emma, for such an eloquent reminder of this!

Unknown said...

My Pa, (Granny Dot's father) used to say: Put down your knife and fork between bites. Chew well, and relish every mouthful. Think about the fish you're eating, where it lived, who caught it, it's journey to the fishmonger, and finally to your kitchen, who cooked it...? We should make it a point to put down our knives and forks! Thanks, Emi, for your very inspiring essay.