Monday, September 24, 2007

balance

From A(vocadoes) to Z(en), each person has his or her own interpretation of nourishment. For some, like my dad, spiritual nourishment has a lot of weight in daily life. As a spiritual leader, he doesn't have the leisure to differentiate between what he does and what he preaches; between what he eats and what he serves up in communion to his congregation. I respect him for taking on that task. It's so easy for us, as laymen, to compartmentalize our needs and our actions: but for full nourishment, all parts of the whole must complement each other--must be balanced by each other.

We need a more holistic approach; an over-arching theme that places equal emphasis on what we eat, on how we interact, and on how we connect to a higher being. In academia, they like to call this interdisciplinary. Essentially meaning: everything connects.
dotted line


Windy field by Colin Alger


Laurence, Father & Spiritual Leader

Beloved: Grace and Peace be unto you. As we look at the topic of nourishment, we need to understand that, as human beings, we are "triune," which literally means "three in one," and that we are comprised of body, soul and spirit. The body is our physical presence. The soul is that part of our being which has to do with emotions and feelings; through the soul we are able to know about ourselves as well as others. The spirit is the part of us which enables us to worship, to pray and to have communion with God.

In order for us to be fulfilled, all three areas must be well nourished--understanding that balance is essential. In the Gospel of John 4:34, we read the words of Jesus: "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, Who sent me, and from finishing His work."

In the scriptures that precede this one, we have the story of a woman to whom Jesus reached out, who was in desperate need of help. She had been married five times, and was presently living with Number Six, who wasn't her husband. Her life had been one of pain and disappointment, and was in need of help. Jesus reached out to help. The woman's life was transformed, and in the helping, He received nourishment.

For me, the greatest nourishment I receive is when an opportunity to help someone arises, and I am able to make a difference in their life.

I have committed to spending my life mending broken people. This brings me nourishment. I also must guard what I take into my spirit. I am sure you have heard the line: "You are what you eat!" in referring to our physical bodies; but the same applies spiritually.

If I am properly nourishing my spirit, the outcome will be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. How are you doing with your spiritual nourishment? Are there areas in your life that need attention? Is there someone that needs your help? Contact me at ncog@verizon.net.

Grace, peace and love to you!
Your friend,
Larry Wall

No comments: